Friday, April 22, 2011

Fasting, fajitas, and friends!!!

I love my life! Today I decided to try making fajitas because I was bored and it sounded like fun. They turned out delicious, and I also got to learn how to mince garlic. I love cooking!!! But I don't think I would have ever found this out if I hadn't been prompted to move out in the first place.

At first I didn't know why I was moving out, and to Cedar City of all places! But you know what? I wouldn't change one bit of it. Living with my awesome roomies, learning how to be independent, figuring out how to cook- living here has been the highlight of my life. And I've really had to learn how to rely on my Heavenly Father. Every day I thank him for having gas in my car and food on the table, things I took for granted before. If it weren't for His inspiration and the generosity of others, I wouldn't have made it. But most of all, the credit goes to my loving parents. Where would I be without them? They are the reason I ate for the first couple months I lived out here. They were the reason I wasn't stranded on the side of the freeway when my car blew up. They are the reason I'm even here! I will be forever grateful to my parents for all they've done for me.

Another person I'm grateful for is my brother, Aaron. He is such an example to me. Little brother, you have taught me the power of fasting. Before I knew it was something you should do, but now I know with every fiber of my soul that it is a powerful blessing that is available to each and every person  out there, even me. My little brother Aaron, bless his heart, decided one day to fast for our father. His health has been declining for years now, and in a variety of ways. My brother decided to fast for him- on a school day, when they were serving a good lunch, when he didn't have to, all because he loved our dad. And you know what? Every single doctor he saw that week said that his improvement was phenomenal. One even claimed that he wasn't sure he was looking at the same patient. This story has taught me to really appreciate fasting, and since then fasting has been a privilege for me. Every time I go to the temple, I fast beforehand. It is such a neat experience for me, and Aaron, I owe you so much for the example you've been for me.

Another example in my life is my dearest friend Brittany. She is about to get married in the temple to one of the best guys I've ever met. And Brittany deserves nothing less. After all she has been through, she deserves a guy who will not just respect her, but treat her like the beautiful daughter of God that she is. She has made a complete 180 in her life, and she gives me so much hope. If she can make that big of a change in her life and earn so many blessings, then so can I, and each of us. The atonement is real, and it's power never ceases to amaze me. It changes people in ways that are nothing less than godlike. Only the Savior could bring about such miracles! I am so grateful to Father in Heaven for all the blessings he provides for his children. "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength, I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do ALL things..." (Alma 26;12)

No comments:

Post a Comment